I passed my two last months trying to make the most perfect recipe ever. I learned a lot about the aquafaba during this research time. Did you know that it is not only the chickpea «juice», but you can also use the liquid from most of canned legumes? Personally, I prefer the aquafaba from white kidney beans, which has a more subtle taste. For the chocolate ice cream, I used the aquafaba from black beans and it was delicious. Can we also agree that the classic chickpea aquafaba is still amazing? This magic liquid opens a large world of possibilities.
It is not simple to create a vegan ice cream without an ice cream maker! You need your ice cream to be airy but rich. Light but creamy. I tried with more cashew nuts, oil, water, sugar to finally arrive to this wonderful recipe! Be aware that if you want your ice cream to be richer, just add ¼ cup ( 65 ml) of oil.
Recipe for about 2 pints of ice cream
Preparation #1 :
The liquid of one chickpea can (aquafaba)
1 tablespoon cornstarch
Juice of half a lime ( about one tablespoon)
1 cup (250 ml) sugar
1 cup ( 250 ml) cashew nuts soaked in water (Put the nuts in a bowl and cover with water. Prepare it the day before the making of the ice cream)
1 tablespoon cornstarch
⅓ cup (85 ml) water
⅓ cup (85 ml) vegetable oil (sunflower, canola, grapeseed oil, for exemple)
Flavour options to add to the second preparation
Vanilla ice cream 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract.
Mint ice cream: 1 teaspoon of peppermint extract + ½ cup (125 ml) of chocolate chunks you will ass at the end of the recipe.
Chocolate ice cream: ⅓ cup (85 ml) of cocoa powder
Cookie and cream ice cream: 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract +10 crushed oreos to add at the end of the recipe
1. For the first preparation, whip the aquafaba in the electric mixer until you have soft spikes *. It can take about 10 to 15 minutes, do not lose hope!
During the whipping time, mix the cornstarch and the sugar.
When you have your aquafaba spikes, add the sugar and lime
When the aquafaba forms soft spikes, add the sugar gradually and the lime while continuing to whip until you get firm pikes and the cream is lustrous.
2. In the blender, put all the ingredients for preparation # 2 and mix at high speed until you get a creamy and even texture. This step is important and it’s essential to use soaked cashew for the ice cream or you’re gonna have a lots of small lumps in it. Pour into a bowl.
3. Take 1/4 of the preparation # 1 and mix well with the preparation 2. This step aerates the preparation # 2 and facilitate the folding of the two preparations together.
4. Carefully fold the preparation # 2 in the preparation # 1 to obtain a homogeneous preparation and not lose the aeration of the aquafaba. That is to say, incorporate one preparation to the other, gently, by folding several times from the edge of the bowl towards its center, using a spatula or a wooden spoon.
5. Add chocolate pieces or oreo cookies if that’s the flavor you’ve chosen.
Put the liquid in an airtight container and refrigerate at least 4 hours before eating.